Re: To C++ or not to C++, that is the question!

From: Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer (doomer@BAYOU.COM)
Date: 12/09/97

>In your opinions, should I convert to C++ or no?  Will GDB demangle the
>names properly?  What are the advantages/disadvantages.  I'ld like to
>hear peoples opinions.  I also think the outcome of this discussion might
>make a good topic for the FAQ (or a different one) at some point, as if
>enough big-name Circle coders (Jeremy, George, Erwin, Alex, Patrick,
>Fili, Daniel, Akuma, I'm looking in your directions :-) give their honest

heheh, that's quite an honor that you consider me a big-name Circle coder :-P
The feeling is mutual my AvP friend ;-P (btw we've moved to
kramer.tander.com 1666
and you char is still there :-P )

>opinions on the C/C++ debate, it can put future questions (and maybe the
>direction of a lot of people's work) to rest.

well, lemme go ahead and get the ball rolling.

I personally like C, but I see many advantages (and much cleaner code)
to C++.  for one, i've already changed the send_to_char() format
to be a ch->print() now.  It looks a little cleaner.

(the reason i still use a macro is for my other coders who are not
adversed in C++, not to say i'm the best either :-P )

soon i plan on changing a majority of those CREATE() calls
for the char_data structures to use NEW so that I can
call load_char() to init the character (or something like that).
But i plan on slowly but surely converting a majority of the structs
to classes (ESPECIALLY the char_data/(mob)char_data to classes)

currently i'm downloading the DG source code, so that I may
take a look at/hack from/get ideas and solutions from
it.  matter of fact, it just finished downloading.

well, until i fully make it a C++ mud, i'll still consider myself
a C coder :-P

anyway, i doubt this was much of any help to your decision.

main point for this babbling: Much cleaner/readable code would be my reason.
(to Chris)--stop by soon.  i'm there.

Akuma the Raging Coder
  | "The poets talk about love, but what I talk about is DOOM, |
  |      because in the end, DOOM is all that counts." -       |
  |   Alex Machine/George Stark/Stephen King, The Dark Half    |
  |        "Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, Just IMPROBABLE"            |
  |   "Easier Said Than Done, But Better Done Than Said..."    |