Re: ASCII data files

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 12/10/97

On 12/10/97 6:16 PM, Sean Butler (sbutler@DEVEAST.COM) stated:

>        This has probably been discussed before, but I must have missed it.
>Is there any plan on making a release of circle that only uses ascii data
>files?  It seems to me that the length of time it takes to boot the mud is
>not really an issue, since it will spend far more time running than booting.
>(Hopefully :-P)  The added flexibility that these files give you is a huge
>gain for someone who wants to make some major changes to the way things work.
>
>        What are the cons?  Security? Possibly game speed whiel OLC is
>going on?

ASCII PFiles patch is out there - works wonders.  I had a (now former)
co-admin who did log into the server and adjusted their invis level to
110 (on a 105 level system), so that even me (the only 105) could not see
him.  How I found out was he informed the other co-admins that he had
"hacked his file".

Plus no pwipes when you change a structure or two :-)

ASCII Objfiles are smaller and more flexible than binary obj files, in
that you can also use restring and have it stick ;-)  I.e, apply a custom
description to an object.

ASCII boards are also nice, I have found them to be a good addition to
the game.

ASCII mail probably corrupts less than binary mail ;-)

As for speed, its insignificant really.  Security?  Well I already
mentioned one small case, but we always felt that coadmin to be a "risk"
(only reason he was a coadmin was he provided us with an account to run
the game from - later we got our own account, then moved.  After the move
we got fed up with his antics and demoted him to staff).
Don't know of other cons.  I'ld say go for it!