Re: Development Style

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 12/16/97

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Chris Jacobson wrote:

> My question is this:
> What development styles do people use?
>
> When I say "development style", I mean:
> coding and compiling locally, then uploading to server
> doing all coding on remote server
> etc...

I'm fortunate enough to have my local machine and remote machine with the
same versions of gcc and of the c libs. The only diff is that my machine
is Slackware and the remote is RedHat. This allows me to
code/test/munge/recode/retest and finally get it right on my machine.
Once I get enough stuff done and enough bugs fixed, then I upload the
files to remote and recompile, shutdown and restart the MUD.

What qualifies as enough?? The actual code changes vary from task to
task, but "enough" is usually at least five hours at the keyboard working
on code. Most of the time, I will code for 8-10 hours on Sat. or Sun.
when I'm the only person home and can get TONS done. Once that short
session of coding is done, tested and approved, then I upload it to
remote and "install" it.

PS: Yes, 8 - 10 hours of coding a short session. After 40 hours of work
to get Neise-Peterson's (SP?) 128 bits code to work anything less than 20
hours is short. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>
http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

Duct tape is like the force.
It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.