Re: Development Style "Dec 16, 97 11:12:33 am"

From: Shadowdancer (sg618lo@UNIDUI.UNI-DUISBURG.DE)
Date: 12/16/97

> This is slightly offtopic, but not enough to warrant an [OFFTOPIC] in my
> opinion.
>
> My question is this:
> What development styles do people use?
>
> When I say "development style", I mean:
> coding and compiling locally, then uploading to server
> doing all coding on remote server
> etc...

Our crew has a server (a linux box directly at an atm router) totally
dedicated to the MUD. Each coder and high immortal has a local shell account
(our big boss Impl is, of course root). To develop mud code, we use the
CVS frontend to RCS, so that conflicts are avoided. Same is used for Immortal
Documentation, as well as our www-site (which is of course on the same
machine).

Before we moved to this new server, we had an automatic over-night compile
on a remote host, with ftp thereafter. We haven't decided yet whether we
will use again an automatic compile (at or cron job) over night again,
as we coders have no proble to install a new version manually. WWW is
handled automatically, as is Documentation.

All important people share the comman 'mud'-account for direct access to
the lib if necessary.

Well...I never coded for other muds, and when I became coder I was
overwhelmed by the possibilities here, especially that 10 coders do
hardly interfere in each other's coding, due to version control.

I personally would classify the development style here as at least
semi-professional. (which I do not claim for my code :P)

> I'm just curious to find out what the majority of people do.  I do all
> coding locally, and I find it to be far better than messing with vi
> remotely, which IMHO would be hell to do compared to what I do now.  In
> fact, since I do all work locally, with CodeWarrior, I have converted the
> MUD to C++ in a matter of a day (with about 4 hours work left).
>
> Im not talking making it compile with C++, I mean, fully converting to
> C++, with changing of class names (struct char_data becomes CharData,
> etc), integrating almost all the
> something_to|from_whatever
> (obj_to_obj,etc) into the classes themselves.  Plus making new files
> (characters.cp, characters.h, character.defs.h, descriptors.cp, etc), and
> reorganizing.  Talking total OO here.  Anyways, doing it locally has made
> it very easy for me, plus the ability to test compile as I work.
>
> So, what styles of development are being used out there?
>
> - Chris Jacobson

C yas

Chris

--
| Christian Loth                      | Meet me as the >Shadowdancer< in the |