Re: [CODE] Animate dead

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 12/20/97

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

> In the stock animate dead spell of bpl11, has anyone tried to use it and it
> worked?  Whenever I use it right now, it simply says that "That has no
> affect".  Just wondering if anyone got this to work.

Yes and no. The mag_summons was skeleton code that didn't do a whole lot.
I tried to figger it out, and did nothing but confuse myself, so what I
did was rewrite it from scratch so that I would know what the code is
doing.

What I did was like so:

Figure out what mob to load via a swtich statement.
If that mob vnum exists, then load it. Otherwise mudlog a SYSERR.
Stick the mob in the room with the character.
Make the mob charmed and following the caster.
Send a message to the character and room stating that a mob had been
  summoned/animated/conjured/etc.
If it's animate dead, pull all the stuff from the corpse and give it to
  the undead mob that is now standing there and extract the corpse.

I don't know if what I did was similar to what JE had intended because,
frankly, I didn't understand his code. Then again... if I went back now
that I have written a new mag_summons, I just might understand it.

It's a fine example of the builders and coder (me) working together to get
something done.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>
http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

<Insert witty saying here at the beep..... BEEEEP!>