command progs for MobProgs, and other random thoughts

From: ;P (siv@CYBERENET.NET)
Date: 12/30/97

> I haven't taken a good look at the DG Scripts, and I am curious, the
> command trapping, does it only trap normally valid commands (say movement
> commands) or can it trap a command that isn't even in the master command
> list?  Speaking of which, how hard would it be to make it so that
> spec_procs can trap non-command-list commands?  That way you don't have
> to make a prototype for every command that will ever be used on the MUD,
> and not all of them are obvious.  (I don't know how many times I've seen
> people asking about commands that are ONLY used in spec_procs, simply
> because they are listed in the 'commands' list)

in case anyone missed it, i'm just going to mention that i posted a
command trapper for mobprogs a couple days ago...there were two of them
actually, a phrase prog and a word prog..the word prog triggered whenever
someone used a command (no matter what the arguments - ie, "get"), while the
other one triggered only if the player typed in the exact phrase (ie, "get
treasure")

i'll forward the mail with the code if anyone emails me privately, or you
can check the archives..

oh..i guess i'll also respond about MobProgs in general...i think that
it's much better than coding spec procs because it allows for more
customization (guards that spit, or yell, rather than "The guard
humiliates you, and blocks..")..i have smoke and mirror mobs that players
can't see that will dig exits, collapse bridges, and knock people
unconscious..not to mention the depressed janitors, the zombies that say
"brains", and all of the simple stuff that adds life to the game (i don't
want to add in all the code required for a specproc just for a zombie
to say brains every now and then)..and all of this can be done
online...programmed, tested, and tweaked..sure it took a little work
adding in new features, and fixing a couple (seriously, only a couple :)
bugs..

i have looked at the DG scripts, and i was going to add them into my mud
in addition to mobprogs...since some of my fellow admins seem to think
that they would be to difficult to figure out (i think all of the "%char%"s
and the "%arg%"s scared them..shrug)

siv