Re: [GCC] multi-character constant warning

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 01/05/98

On 1/5/98 8:44 PM, George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG) stated:

>>Well, it may be illegal C/C++, but it works :-)
>
>I can drive 105 mph, it works, doesn't mean it's not illegal.

Depends, in my case I'm on the autobahn, because I'm using MacOS and
MetroWerks for development, and Linux and GCC for production.  On MacOS,
such usage of multi-character constants has always been common (might be
a compiler extension defined as a standard for MacOS)... in fact, MacOS
file types and creators are really 32-bit ints, in a "human readable
form" as 4-byte strings (such as 'TEXT' and 'CWIE' - 'TEXT' being the
Type (plain ascii text) and 'CWIE' (CodeWarrior Integrated Environment)
being the Creator).  Such that

I guess my programming heritage had taught me to accept this as a common
feature of other compilers (since I come from MacOS development and all).
 Eh well, its a nice feature, should be legal ;-)

('course, I was also taken aback originally to see something such as
"*proto = *OLC_MOB(d)", because on MacOS if your dealing with
relocateable chunks of memory, which is the case 90% of the time, you
would want to use BlockMove() or BlockMoveData())

- Chris Jacobson