static world

From: Daniel W. Burke (dwb@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: 01/12/98

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Erwin S. Andreasen wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, - Pure Krome - wrote:
> > Excuse my ignorance .. but what is this CopyOver addon thingy?
> >
> I am the author. It's available from my homepage at
> http://www.abandoned.org/drylock/snip.shtml.
>
> I normally code for MERC derivatives, but I ported it to Circle out of the
> goodness of my heart ;)

good man, good man... it's pretty neat, only thing I've been trying to talk
myself into for a while now is to make the world static, so something like
this is pratical... and also save things like who's grouped, fighting, etc...

Have many people done such a static world?  I'm curious of implementation
methods... about the best thing I can come up with is a totally ascii
system, to allow for less error/curruption (I know, I know, if done right,
curruption shouldn't be a problem, but you can never be too careful)...
and about the only way to make a static world work, you would have to have
things save rather frequently, if not constantly, if to survive a crash and
keep the world intact... which is why I considered making a static world
that saved only in a reboot, and to hell with static after a crash, since
the overall idea is to code as few random reboots as possible ;)

Brazil

Share and Enjoy!