Re[2]: [Code][Question]

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 01/14/98

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:43:36 -0700
John Evans <evansj@HI-LINE.NET> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Christoffer Lundberg wrote:
>
> > I'm planning on adding an 'introduce' and 'appearance' based
> > system on my MUD. The 'appearance' system is easy to add, but
> > the 'introduce' part is harder. It will involve something of
> > a list or some sort, of which people that have introduced
> > themselves to you. How can I do this? Any ideas?
>
> This has been talked about before, and the concensus was a linked list of
> id nums. That allows for dynamic expansion of the list to add in new
> introductions.
>
> The only problem that I see with this, is that after a character has been
> deleted and a purge has been run on all the deleted characters, their id
> nums will then be available for new characters. I can better illustrate
> the problem than describe it.
>
> Bob introduces himself to you. (idnum = 5)
> Bob deletes.
> Immort kills the mud, runs the purge to free up spaces, and restarts mud.
> Joe makes new character and gets idnum 5 because it's now free.
> You now know Joe automatically because his idnum is stored in your list
>         of known characters.
>
> There needs to be some method of removing someone's idnum from all
> characters list of known characters when they delete.

That's easy. Never reuse player idnums. I suspect it'll be difficult to
login two billion people in your mud's lifetime.

In addition, when a player logs in, do a get_name_by_id for all the
people on the introduction list, then don't add those that return NULL
to the list as you are building it during login.

--Mallory