Re: [DG Scripts] bug in alias variable

From: Daniel W. Burke (dwb@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: 01/26/98

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Eric Green wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 02:09:32PM +0100, Andy Hubbard wrote:
> > mobiles.  Not good for mkill %actor.alias% if actor is a mob! All
> > you'll probably see will be,
>
> You should never refer to a player in a command with %player.alias% or
> %player.name% or like, unless it is in a text portion (such as saying

The way I handled that when I implemented this script system some time ago
(only made a few scripts, so it was largly unused until I wrote the olc for
it recently), is to have %actor% be used for everything... %actor% by itself
returns the memory pointer... i.e. me = (int) ch;  Then use made a new
function that ran through the character list, and using type casting, looked
for a memory match, and add a call to that function to all the get_char
functions... (I ended up using this in other things, because it became
pretty convient, instead of searching the mud for pointers to a character
when he/she gets extracted)...

Brazil

Share and Enjoy!