Re: Very Large memory structures.

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 01/29/98

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>        Right, I know how malloc works - the errors come from not having
>the memory around.  But - it is around. All I was running was the
>mud-mock-up, on a machine with 96 mgs of ram and i think 80 meg swap file.
>
>        It's my personal machine, and i'm pretty sure I didn't impose any
>limits on myself - turned off my lshell just in case, but is there some
>sort of default limit for a function/program?  the ulimit() call is
>undocumented (the man pages has references to: obsolete(1) and
>undocumented(1) or something of that nature).  Any ideas?

If using 'bash', try 'help ulimit'

I get:
ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      2097148
file size (blocks)          unlimited
open files                  64
pipe size (512 bytes)       10
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          1973
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

Another idea would be to make the world[] a list of pointers and if one of
those is NULL, use the defaults.  This will use an extra
sizeof(struct room_data *) bytes per room but will save memory if you have
a lot of default rooms because you won't need a full 'room_data' structure.