C Interpreter engine

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 02/02/98

A while back, when I was learning C I picked up a book, "C the Complete
Reference" by Herbert Schildt. While the book wasn't as good as I had hoped,
it did contain a C interpreter that picqued my interest. Not wanting to type
it in by hand, and failing to find it on the net, I forgot about it. A
couple days ago I stumbled upon a copy on the 'net. It took a while to
decompress the hqx/sea archive and figure out it's minor complaints and pop
it inside the mud. But that fait is accomplished, albeit with minimal
support in the std_library, function department.

What I seek from this message is ideas on where it would be useful, and if
sufficient interest exists, to post the code.

As I already have a functioning scripting system, I don't seek to use it for
a first-level system for builders to use (and don't want to personally teach
them all c..)

Where I do think it would be useful is to create skills and other special
database commands to allow builders to prototype their idea, with my help on
the subroutine end. Then, once it's working to all our satisfaction, I'd
make the code run inside circle as compiled C code, and build a library this
way. Primary benefit is that builders get instant satisfaction on a new
feature, and I can create a new feature in C that can be compiled if
warranted.

This idea turns out to be a good amount of work. The devil is in the
details, as every structure, the common std lib calls, and all the
circlism's we take for granted all need to be recreated in the environment.

As a further thought, interpreted spec procs would be a good idea. I took
spec_procs out long ago, as part of my philosophy that eventually the coder
(me) need not have to modify code every time a builder wants a new bell or
whistle. I'm mostly there, but something like this would move the mud most
of the way to that goal.

What I'm considering doing is to create and post a way to map the mud into
the interpreter in such a way that any mud would be abl e to use it without
having to hack it all up.

Thoughts?

--Mallory