Re: [OFF-TOPIC] small favor....

From: Price Hall (phall@DUFUS.CC.WESTGA.EDU)
Date: 02/03/98

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Tony Robbins wrote:

> Obcircle:
> I don't really like how 128 bitvectors work.  I'm going to experiment with
> long long, and I'd like help with that too.  Also, I'm going to move the
> ITEM_ANTI_* flags into their own setup and do OasisOLC setup for it.
>
> I've noticed that the anti flags seem to use most of the things up when you
> get some races and classes in there.

This is why I've moved away from ANTI-class flags.  They fall apart as the
number of classes increase, and make adding classes a nightmare.

What I do instead is move the ANTI flags to the classes, and put 'quality'
flags on items.  So then, adding a new class is easy, and requires no OLC
work to make your existing items comply.  You just need a nice quality
list from the beginning.

For example, a sword might be IRON, EDGED, WEAPON.  A cleric class might
have !EDGED, and not be able to use it.  A certain race might be !IRON,
and be unable to use it.  A monk might be !WEAPON.  And so forth.
Quality flags are also useful in that they give your code a way to 'know'
things about items.  For example, the IRON quality could be used to
implement a giant magnet that would attract iron objects.  A guard could
be coded to not allow people with any WEAPON's to pass.

A well-rounded 'quality' flag system is just nice...anybody else doing
this?

-price