act() crashing..stumped

From: Joe DiLascio (OmnousMan@AOL.COM)
Date: 02/12/98

I've looked everywhere I know to and am still stumped.

When I purge a PC, the purge takes place... then the whole thing blows up.
Kerput. Blammo. Crash. (It used to do it with NPC's too, but that was fixed by
the dummy mob initialization patch-- it didn't even make it through the purge
then)

500H 100M 82V> purge iota
[ (GC) Karthos has purged Iota. ]
Okay.

500H 100M 82V> %%% Disconnected from server.

I've not changed act() or do_purge(), nor any of the room structs, nor
char_from_room() or extract_char(), nor REMOVE_FROM_LIST, etc.... but it
crashes (reportedly) here in act():

  /* ASSUMPTION: at this point we know type must be TO_NOTVICT or TO_ROOM */

  if (ch && ch->in_room != NOWHERE)
    to = world[ch->in_room].people;            <==crash on this line
  else if (obj && obj->in_room != NOWHERE)
    to = world[obj->in_room].people;
  else {
    log("SYSERR: no valid target to act()!");
    return;
  }

That lead me to believe the purged char wasn't properly removed from the
list.. but through some log() breakpoints in extract_char(), I found that the
removal apparently took place...
I know no one can give me a flat-out remedy for this, but maybe a place to
look that I haven't thought of yet..? Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks all...

P.S. (I'm on Win 95/MSVC 5.. if that helps/matters..)