Re: Use Less RAM!

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 02/21/98

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, X Schiltz wrote:

>> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, George wrote:
>>
>> ->As has already been pointed out, it makes the system think it's not using
>> ->as much RAM.  Why not extend the idea and compress your room descriptions?
>> ->Or implement your own disk swapper?  You could get really fancy and write
>> ->your own memory management subsystem.  Why stop there? A MUD kernel!
[..].
>I'm quite afraid that I must agree with dak, if only for the reason that
>somebody was thinking of naming somebody else a legend(and it wasn't
>me(either of the people)). Secondly, I don't see memory use as a big
>problem with CircleMUD. My server doesn't charge me by the RAM I use, I
>suppose that if I really want to do my (MSP?) a favour, I can try to use
>less RAM, but it doesn't really interest me. Doesn't Circle have one of
>the lower memory uses, among MUDs, anyways? With the pools of memory, or
>whatever was in the docs?

None of you caught my sarcasm. :P

Just to be useful, here's what has been fixed recently:

2/19/98
-- gg - db.c: index_boot(): Fixed a bug with not closing a file.
2/20/98
-- gg - mobact.c: remember(): Took John Evans' suggestion to change
        the level check into a PRF_NOHASSLE check.  It would be good
        to identify other places this should be changed.
-- gg - act.wizard.c/act.informative.c/spells.c/house.c/objsave.c/spec_procs.c
        Fixed hopefully all of the 'sprintf(buf, "%s...", buf, ...);'
        constructs that the Borland C++ compiler does not like.
-- gg - act.comm.c: perform_tell(): We cannot get the id number of a mob
        any longer so don't save it for the last tell pointer.
-- gg - comm.c: game_loop(): d->wait no longer keeps going negative forever.