Re: OLC (& something relevant)

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 03/02/98

At 09:26 AM 3/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>It's not just one day's worth of mail, this is this case almost
>every day.  I easily delete 1/2 to 2/3 of the mail posted to this list
>without reading it, because it is OLC related (and a bunch more that
>are OS/compiler/debugger related).

That's your own choice--I personally try to address each message that
I can actually help with.  This helps to prevent repeat posts.  I have
probably e-mailed regarding hedit a couple of times with various problems,
and I do not believe I got a single response.  Either you all have instant
filters to junk my messages, or we're edging more towards ignoring people
instead of helping.  (This is not a flame, it's an observation...There are
quite a few people who help very frequently...Thanks go out to them.)

>>     Your bad analysis aside, 73 messages in a 2-3 day period for this list
>>     just ain't that much.... that is about 12% of the list posting a day,
>>     consider yourself lucky.
>
>Of what list?  I don't have any filters and receive 100% of the emails
>posted to the Circle mailing list.  73 messages = 100% of the email
>from this weekend, not 12%.  If it is only 12%, where are the rest
>of the posts hiding, such that I am missing them?
>(that's over 600 posts, btw...)

12% of the list MEMBERS is 73.

I think that an Oasis mailing list would be the exact opposite of what
is needed.  Putting all of us not-quite-great-but-not-a-newbie-coder on
one list separate from all the coders who would rather junk the messages
than try to help will just make it so that there are never any answers.

My opinion:  Try to help people on the list, some output, even on OLC
             is nice.

OBCIRCLE:
  I've installed the room affections and they are working great.  Anyway,
  instead of "Wall of Fog", I have created a spell called inferno, which
  makes it so that every 15 seconds, everyone in the room takes random
  damage.  Anyway, the problem:  I have it strcat(buf, "Flames around you
blah.\r\n");
  in look_at_room if the room has the inferno affect on it.  This seems to lag
  the look_at_room function (only a .5-1 second delay, but still!) by a
  little bit the first time you look at room.  How could I address this?

Thanks
-B.