[CODE][ALGEBRA] Formula for players experience

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 03/08/98

If you're not VERY good at math, don't bother reading

Ok, using the basis that I want it to take 500000 exp to go from 99 to
100 and I want it to take 999 experience to go from level 1 to 2, I came
out with this equation:

51.22675737(level^2) + 845.3197279(level) + (-895.5464853) = experience
from level-l to level
(it looks rough, but it's very very close)

The problem here is that the exp_needed function doesn't work that
way--it just wants the experience total needed for that level.  So I
used my equation above to get the experience needed
level 0 to level 1 takes 1 exp
level 1 to level 2 takes 1000 exp
level 2 to level 3 takes 2101 exp

Ok, so I figure that if you add the experience for the one you're at
plus all those below it, you'll get the total experience needed for that
level...

level 1 takes 1 exp
level 2 takes 1001 exp
level 3 takes 3102 exp

calling level x and experience y, when x is 1, y is 1.  When x is 2, y
is 1001.  With these three points, I can get the equation for the curve,
which, in theory, should come out with the difference between level 100
and 99 as 500000 or so.  (Actually, the top equation is closer to
600,000, but that's fine)

So I did the equation twice, and I came out with this:

550.5(level^2) + (-651.5)(level) + 102 = experience needed

So for level 1 this works fine, and level 2, and level 3...  but when I
find the difference between level 100 and level 99, it's only 120,000!
I don't know where I'm going wrong.  Am I making a dumb mistake?  Point
it out if you see it, please!

Thanks
-B.