Duplicate Names Bug??

From: Ron Hensley (ron@CROSS.DMV.COM)
Date: 03/12/98

Ive been trying for the longest time, over a year, to track down a
situation where we end of with 2-4 of the same player in the database,
different ID numbers, same Name.

Its been going on for quite some time. To fix things up i generally run a
util I wrote some time back, to delete all but the first isntance of a
palyer name from the database.

However that fixes the symptom, not the bug. The one thing I know of that
was installed way back when that could be doing this is the email
registration patch from the www site I installed.

Id suspect this one, as the player is made, but not fully filled in till
they reconnect again with the emailed password.

Has anyone else whos used this patch experienced such a problem, or come
up with a fix for it? Could be that its not that code at all but nothing
else comes to mind after much head scratching.

Not much to go on i know, but figured perhaps itd been run across before.

OBCircle:
 My muds been up for a good 2 - 2 1/2 years and ive noticed that the ID
numbers are getting expleremely high, even though we dont have but 100 or
so players in the database. In checking the code, I see that a new player
always gets assisgned an ID 1 greater then the highest player, even
though there are plenty of free numbers before it, created by deleted
players. Anyone done any code to search 0 to TOP_ID for a spare and use
it instead? I tried once a few months ago and managed to create a nie
mess :)

    *   Ron Hensley                     ron@dmv.com                   *
    *   Network Administrator           http://www.dmv.com/~ron       *
    *                                   PGP Key at WWW Page           *
    *   DelMarVa OnLine                 749-7898 Ext. 403             *