Re: Duplicate Names Bug??

From: Ron Cole (rcole@EZY.NET)
Date: 03/13/98

>In theory, you should be quite safe from running out of ID numbers,
>especially if you squash the bug you reported of having one character
>get assigned multiple ID numbers.  In particular, a long/int is
>32-bits, and the max is the summation of the first 32 bits, meaning
>it is (2^31)-1, or 2147483647.  To my best estimation, at even 7 new
>characters per day (that's 49 per week, about 196 per month, and 2352
>per year), which is--to the best of my estimation--improbable, it
>would take you nearly 100,000 years to run out of ID numbers.

That's a little low, we've been up for a little over 2 years, with I'd guess,
and average of 40-50 players online at a time.  We're on id #27000 or so.  Let's
say we use 15,000 a year, that gives us a lifespan of about 143,000 years.  In
the example that you replied to, I think it was 100 players online average, so
halve that.  It's still nothing to worry about unless you're getting into
hundreds of thousands of users online tho... :-)  In a pinch you could make that
unsigned and double your lifespan.

Ron