Re: [DTscripts + code + theme] questions

From: Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira (eduo@CIATEQ.MX)
Date: 03/24/98

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, George wrote:

> >RECAP:  How do you handle theme problems with mobs that can't hold
> >items/coins?  Do you just give them stuff and assume the reward is in
> >their lair?
>
> Give them something else useful, like cheese or a random chance of a
> semi-nifty item.

I find the "skin" idea really useful, I was designing an area in which
there were no tools to speak of and people were stripped of everything and
given a patch of fur to cover themselves, but I had heavily implemented
"skinnable" mobs and "joinable objects", so they could kill some animal
with their bare hands to get a piece of bone or some string of leather and
couple that with stones to make axes, lances and the like... I had thought
of making "skin" and "join" skills available to all races and classes,
learned by practice. If you followed a not-too-straight path you could end
up fully clothed and with some nifty weapons, including lances, hammers
and bows.

I found that also a great way to give the game some more depth than just
hack and slash (you had to see how to join pieces together) and to develop
groups and groupwork.

"skinnable" mobs and "joinable" objects should be in stock, given the huge
playing factor they can offer to a mud, if used correctly (but then again,
this is being said by someone that once had users making submarines from
over 250 separate parts, that assembled into bigger parts which then could
be assembled to make a rudimentary submarine..:)

Luck

Eduo