Re: [HELP] Type of C++?

From: Judson Powers (powers@RJSONLINE.NET)
Date: 03/24/98

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 4:00 PM, JWoodsIII <mailto:JWoodsIII@AOL.COM> wrote:
> I'm interested in starting a MUD...but which version of C++ should I get
(as
> in Borland, BTurbo, Visual, etc)? I want the most universal one... And
> suggestions?

Well, those aren't versions of C++, per se, but versions of compilers.  :)
The "universal" C++ is ANSI - if you want to have universal support, make
sure the compiler allows you to choose ANSI strict interpretation, in which
the company's own extensions of the language are not used, but instead
reported as errors.  You should not get Visual C++, because a MUD server is
not a graphical (sp?) program.  The best compiler depends on your platform.
 For a UNIX/Linux machine, I'd choose g++; for Macintosh or Win95 I'd go
with CodeWarrior.  If you use strict ANSI, the compiler, of course, should
be for the platform you're developing for and not the platform you're
using.  For example, CodeWarrior won't help you too much if you're
developing for a UNIX machine, although it will provide a nice interface
for about $250.  :)  Hoep that helps.

Judson Powers                 Morgaelin MUD
powers@rjsonline.net          telnet://mud.dwango.com:3000/

"Friends help you move... real friends help you move bodies."