Re: Dice Rolls

From: Neal Lahndorff (stulahnd@ACS.EKU.EDU)
Date: 03/27/98

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Jonathan Barrett wrote:

> While I was making a function to tell you how many die with how many
> sides are needed to get an average of X and a range of x, I began to
> wonder about the die system in general.  Why does circle use the die
> system at all?  Wouldn't it be easier to just pick a random number
> between x and X?
>
> For example: Weapon damage...
>
> You want and average dam of 20 and a range of +-10, you could choose:
> 10d3, 5d5+5, 2d11+8, and a few more combos
>
> or you could simply say:
> number(10, 30).
>
> That would have the same effect and be quite easier.  I could think of a
> few differences, like dice rolls more closely resemble D&D, but I can't
> decide which method would be better.

actually, they aren't the same, with dice rolls, the roll will most
likely be around the average, however with the entirely random (10, 30),
there is an even distribution all the way across the board, ie, your
chances of getting a 20 are the same as getting a 10.  With a dice roll,
the values will tend more towards a bell curve i think (jeez stat was a
long time ago), but thats really the reason for dicerolls

Neal