Re: Hedit help!!

From: ;P (siv@CYBERENET.NET)
Date: 04/16/98

> I am sure glad I am not the only one who had this problem!!!

of course you weren't..a lot of people don't know how to read..

>    The Editor does work.. but it ONLY saves the information you type in
>    under option 1, AND the level. So it doesnt actually save the aliases
>    for the help. YOU have to add them in as the first line of the
>    editor. (why the option for changing the aliases were never
>    implemented.. I have NO idea)

it was initially included, but i decided to make it just a dumb editor for
several reasons..to accomplish help entry editing without having duplicate
entries in the file, keeping multiple aliases per entry, and requiring
almost no change to the actually help element..plus, the first line is
used to create the alias list for the entry as well as being IN the entry
itself..making things a little more difficult..

in the initial version, you could change what it said was the keyword, but
i removed it after people wondered why it didn't do anything :)

>    If you already tried, to make a help file, you need to go into the
>    help.hlp file and delete that last one.

what are you talking about? i've never heard of this one, and i've never
had to manually edit my help files..

>    Also, the editor ADD's on to the text already there, so if you
>    add a new help file and DO NOT delete the first line.. the help
>    topic will not work. Just make sure you list the text before saving

this is considered a feature of the enhanced editor..it keeps the text
that you are editing..did you never notice that before?

> 1. Add the menu option to change/edit the help aliases.
> 2. Have hedit save the aliases instead of the user having to type
>    them into the editor.

adding several more keystrokes when editing entries, as well as complexity
to the code..anyway..i don't understand what the big deal is..you type
them as the first line, or you type them in their own slot..either way you
have to type them..

it would be trivial to add this feature by making the help index just like
the mob/obj/wld indices, indexed by the element rather than the alias, but
i felt that was too much of a change to existing format..

> 3. Allow for multiple files to be edited, possible to add a third
>    variable on the command line for the .hlp file?
>    (I created a NEW help file to add to, since it is more likely
>    that I will be creating NEW help files for all the things added
>    than to edit existing ones and had the editor point to that new
>    file)

the only reason for having the help entries in multiple files was for
organization..ie, wizcmds.hlp, skills.hlp, etc..but if you're editing
online then you don't need to know what file is being edited, since you're
accessing that entry directly using its keywords..i don't see any speed
gain by breaking them down since there is no way (stock) to reload
specific help files..and this way you only need to worry about (in the
code) the one file..just like messages and socials..

i just don't see any of that as being worth the time and effort to
code..shrug

if anyone wants a more detailed explaination what/why i did things the
way i did, email me private..

siv