Re: [CODE] [NEWBIE] Printing brief room desc when enter key hit

From: Ben Shadwick (bshadwic@CLARK.EDU)
Date: 04/21/98

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, ;P wrote:
> > (ignore_brief contains the value of the second argument to look_at_room)
> > Now, I'm wondering if there's a logic error in there, or if look_at_room
> > just wasn't intended to be able to be forced to skip the long room desc.
> > The reason for this is that (from what I can tell) in order for the long
> > desc to be skipped, the following must be met:
> > 1) the player is in brief mode
> > 2) ignore_brief is equal to 0
> > 3) the player is not in a deathtrap room? (this doesn't matter, since you
> >    want it to print the long description anyways probably)
>
> you're incorrect about there being a logic error..the room description
> will show if:
> you are in a death trap OR
> you do not have brief on OR
> you typed look with no arguments (in which case, it will ignore the fact
> that you have brief on)

That's what I said =) So (like I also said) look_at_room is just not as
versatile as is as I needed it to be.

> > As you can see, regardless of the value of ignore_brief, look_at_room will
> > still show the long desc if the player is not in brief mode.
>
> right..ignore_brief is only there to override someone's brief preference
> in certain cases..like when they type the look command..

The important thing to note is that ignore_brief only overrides the
player's pref to allow you to force the long desc to be shown.

> > SO, (sorry for being so wordy) what would be the best way to work around
> > this so that, when the user hits ENTER at the command prompt, the game
> > does look_in_room WITHOUT printing the long room desc? Probably the safest
>
> hrm..you could also just send it another parameter (force_brief)

Except that doing that could break other code, unless I change it all
accordingly (which doesn't seem very practical, especially if I'm going to
be patching other code in from various sources).

Maybe it would be a good addition to the stock look_at_room code to allow
brief descriptions to be forced, say, by passing -1 for the value of
ignore_brief?