Checking to see if a player is logged in

From: Chuck Carson (chuck@EDEN.COM)
Date: 04/27/98

I have some skills that players use to find out information
on other players. Some of the skills have a small chance
that information leaks back to the player in question.

ex:

I want to send a message to a player that is something like:
"Somebody has been asking questions about you."

Is checking to see if a player is not an NPC and that they
have a desc a safe way to see if they are logged in? I looked
at the code from do_tell() and that is what it seemed to be
doing.

If not, where in the code is an example I could follow to check
if a player is online at the moment?

Also, how would I go about 'queuing (sp?)' the message until
that player does log in? (Thus when they do log in, they would
receive the same message)

Thanks,
WC