Re: [AD + GAMEPLAY] Set standards for gameplay

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 05/05/98

On Tue, 5 May 1998, AxL wrote:

->        Well, I plan to use something along the lines of the below.  This is
->a weapons listing from the Unix game Moria.  I never liked the fact that a
->dagger in one area is 1d6, and one from another area is 4d6.  Doesn't
->matter how magical/intelligent the thing is, it is still a damn dagger,
->and should have roughly the same base damage dice.

[Perhaps somewhat of a topic change, but still an interesting idea]

Hmm, standardization of damage dice for weapon types is a good idea.
But there is a signifigant problem in that big things inflict
different types of damage.  Hence, I would suggest creating
implementing different types of damage (crushing, piercing, slashing,
etc.) and armor (the same types).  In this way, you could have a sword
that did 2d6 slashing and 1d4 piercing.  It could attack either way.
This also means that armor is not so generally good with barely any
trade-offs (unless you are doing speed based combat rounds or some
other calculations concerning weight worn).  A slash or pierce might
not do much to that chain mail, but I don't see why it'd dampen the
blow of a club...

-dak