Armor Types

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 05/05/98

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> different types of damage.  Hence, I would suggest creating
> implementing different types of damage (crushing, piercing, slashing,
> etc.) and armor (the same types).  In this way, you could have a sword
> that did 2d6 slashing and 1d4 piercing.  It could attack either way.
> This also means that armor is not so generally good with barely any
> trade-offs (unless you are doing speed based combat rounds or some
> other calculations concerning weight worn).  A slash or pierce might
> not do much to that chain mail, but I don't see why it'd dampen the
> blow of a club...

I did a farily lengthy report once on the quality of armor versus various
types of weapons. I came up with the following categories for damage:

Bludgeoning: Club, mace, etc.
Piercing: Dagger, knife, rapier, etc.
Slashing: Sword, Axe(axe does some Bludgeoning as well), etc.
Misc: Things like lasso, bola, whip. They do "damage" in minor amounts
and in ways that armor generally can'y protect against.

You also have the same three categories for how much armor protects
against the various types of attacks, but with a system like this armor
reduces damage. To determine a hit/miss, you would combine the
skill+dex+die_roll of the attacker and compare it to the
skill+dex+die_roll-armor_mod of the defender. The skill for the attacker
would be his skill in the weapon, or weapon type, and the skill for the
defender would be dodge, parry or shield use (or some other applicable
skill). The armor mod would be a modifier that the armor gives. The
heavier the armor, the more intense the mod.

This means that plate mail armor would make the defender _easier_ to hit,
but harder to get through the armor to the person so less damage would be
inflicted.

I am sorely tempted to convert my MUD over to this system, but I think
that it's a bit too late. Since creation is already under way, we already
have several hundred peices of armor created and an equal number of
weapons. I really don't feel like going in and converting all the data,
scrapping the curring hit/miss/damage system and recoding it all.

There's my thoughts on the matter, and if anyone uses them please let me
know. I would love to see a MUD with this style of combat in action.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

  -- Arthur C. Clarke