[CODE][NEWBIE]malloc crashing

From: Benjamin Draper (satrycus@DRACHENBURG.DEMON.CO.UK)
Date: 05/23/98

I'm having the occasional malloc crash. Some freaky stuff seems to
preceed it, although I'm uncertain as to whether it's connected.

  We're using the OLC+, and we've added enough things to say we're
not quite stock. Here's the gdb output:

Core was generated by `bin/circle 4000'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5.3.12...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.1...done.
#0  0x40041f71 in malloc ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40041f71 in malloc ()
#1  0x400a0998 in __DTOR_END__ ()
(gdb)

This core was produced just after 2 builders reported seeing odd things.
Both of them were in oedit, BUILDER B, saw what BUILDER A should have
seen, and BUILDER A saw some stuff that was edited by someone 30 minutes
previously in sedit. Memory leak right?
  Secondly the crash occured exactly at the point when a character
entered
the game. I read Erocs' malloc crashing from earlier on in the week,
and he reported similar problems, although with medit, a new character
and he was using pl7.
  From what I can make out it was the character enetering the game that
crashed it. The memory leak was coincidental - thought I'd mention it
in case it had some relevance.
  Has anyone else had problems like these, or knows anyway I could fix
'em?
  Yes I've RTFC and the FM, searched the mailing list archive, and I've
probably left out some piece of information that could aid an answer.
I think that's it.
Thanks in advance guys.

-> Ben