Re: [OFFTOPIC] Attitudes

From: d. hall (dhall@WARK.OOI.NET)
Date: 06/13/98

> In a message dated 98-06-12 21:56:28 EDT, quinn@MUD.COMSYS.NET writes:
> << Ok, I know Im the not the greatest coder in the world, and at times I ask
>  for help, but recently when I have all Ive gotten are "Go get a book
>  idiot" or "I dunno whats wrong you tell us newbie" like really isnt this
>  list to HELP people like myself, is it not? >>

> I hate to admit it, but I just realized he's right. I know I'm a real
> asshole at times, with all my questions and stuff, and I've tried not to
> be more recently, but sometimes you guys are pretty annoying too.

I'll teach you how to fish, but don't expect me to hold the rod for you,
that's the job you should do for yourself.

> This is how we learn, some of us. We listen to what other people would
> do, we look at the code, and we figure out what it means. Just because
> OUR questions aren't super-complex, and THEY aren't as GOOD as all of
> YOURS doesn't mean that they don't deserve an answer.

Before you learn how to run grasshopper, you better learn how to walk.  If
you wish to learn how to run a mud written in C, better learn the
fundamentals of C first.  And I say the _fundamentals_.  The comments
haven't really been RTFC.

I'm not saying there is a mud certification exam you need to pass to be
_allowed_ to code muds.  But if you don't know how to use a debugger, I'd
suggest you learn really quick.  No mechanic would ever be patient with
someone who can't figure out his car won't run cause it ran out of gas.

> And when I say answer, I don't mean RTFC. Some of us just don't
> necessarily understand all of the code, even if we understand a lot of
> it. And don't tell me that I need to learn to code, because that's what
> I'm doing.

Learning or coding?  Any newbie asks stupid questions when first learning.
The art of course is asking questions in a way that you can get answers.
His questions were probably the most basic of questions and would make up a
FAQ of how NOT to ask questions.

Quite often, people sign up for this list, read it for like maybe 2 days
and then start posting every single question they've ever had.  Instead of
reading the content, they get on this list just to get their questions
answered, even though it may've been answer 5 times already and with a
little thought they could've answered it and learned something along the
way.  This list does not cater to individuals, it's a forum that caters to
the source.  It *is* a resource though, abusing it only makes it less of a
resource for others.

d.