Saving mail and notes

From: Mark Gerritsen (m.p.h.gerritsen@STUDENT.UTWENTE.NL)
Date: 06/15/98

Hiya,

I'm working on saving the action descriptions of pieces of mail
and writeable objects (ITEM_NOTE) when people rent with them,
and putting the descs back on the paper when they log back on.
I mimiced the way titles etc are saved, and it all works fine.
The only thing I'm afraid of is that it will take a lot of HD
space once we get players (the MUD isn't open yet)
I'm using
   char action_description[MAX_MAIL_LENGTH+1];
in struct obj_file_elem in structs.h and the rest is analogue
to how titles are stored/retrieved.
The action_description field in obj_file_elem only differs
from NULL when it's mail or a note, and MAX_MAIL_LENGTH is 4096.

Will it use 4096 HD space for -every- item, or will it just
use the space that's filled?
Anyone know more elegant ways of saving the text on
"virtual paper"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Havoc of Dagmarck (Mark Gerritsen)