Re: RCS (was 'heavily modified')

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 06/17/98

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Doppleganger Software wrote:

> As to documentation, well, I needed to do that.  I spent about half a
> year on a coding bender.  (100% coding, no building unless it was to test
> the code)  I never documented a thing I did.  Then my imms asked for a
> list of what I'd done, so they could build for it.  I spent the next 3
> weeks going over the code, writing down the 2 printed pages of changes I
> made in list format.  From that point on, every time I made a change, I
> wrote down a note on the list, so I know what I did.  It also helps a bit
> in debugging.  If you add 2-3 things, you can go back and see which
> feature may have caused the bug.

This is where RCS or another revision control system comes in real handy.
I always use it on big projects to keep track of changes and give myself
something to fall back on if I can't find a new memory bug or accidentally
trash a file.

Another little trick to keep track of what you've done is an edit-friendly
todo list.  This was very helpful while rewriting the ascii pfiles.  It
looks a little like this:

  <tab>  write pfdefaults.h file
  <tab>  add poofin/alias saving
  <tab>  fix load_char description loading

When I complete a task, I put a * at the beginning of the line, and
occasionally I'll move marked lines to the top to get them out of the way.
It not only aids documentation, but breaks up a big project into small
tasks.  When I find time to work on the project, I pick a task that
interests me, or matches my time constraints (or brain constraints all too
often).  When I think of something else I need to do, I add it as soon as
possible so I don't forget.  This from the least organized guy in the
western hemisphere.

Sam
RCS, the best thing since gdb!