Re: Names/Name Approval by Gods

From: Kyle Goodwin (vbmasta@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: 06/18/98

Yes, my mud uses this too but I'd rather give them an opportunity in the
setup to be sure their name is ok before they dedicate tiome to the player.

Kyle Goodwin

----------
From: John Evans <evansj@DATAWEST.NET>
To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
Subject: Re:  Names/Name Approval by Gods
Date: Thursday, June 18, 1998 4:32 PM

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Kyle Goodwin wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has impleented a system where right after a
> player is created but before they can enter the mud (like right before
the
> MOTD) they have to have their name aproved by the gods or if no god is on
> it times out and lets them enter but keeps a log of it for ggods to
review
> later.  I have seen this system on several MUDs and it seems like a good
> idea to keep people from using really outragious (sp?) names.

My system is simple. Instead of being asked:
Do you want to use "<name>" as your name (Y/N)?

They are told that if their name doesn't fit in a fantasy genre or is
offensive, then they will have their character forcefully removed from the
game and deleted. Then they are asked if they want to use <name> as their
name.

If they still enter with a offensive or out of place name, then they get
deleted and xnamed. Since they were forewarned, I have no sympathy for
them at all.

John Evans <evansj@datawest.net>
http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/              telnet://spear.gator.net:1066

--Arthur C. Clarke