Re: [NEWBIE][CODE] object_list and extract_obj

From: John Evans (evansj@DATAWEST.NET)
Date: 07/05/98

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Mundi King wrote:

> for (i=object_list; i; i=->next)
> {
>   extract_obj(i);
> }
>
> compared to
> point_update in limits.c
>
> for(j = object_list;j;j = next_thing) {
>   next_thing = j->next;
>
>   extract_obj(j);
> }

The second method is the "correct" way to loop through a linked list when
dealing with ANY LINKED LIST (descriptor_list, character_list,
object_list, etc.)

NOTE: "correct" means the safest way. The first way works, but if you ever
extract obj and then attempt to access obj->next, guess what is going to
happen?

John Evans <evansj@datawest.net>             AKA: Zeavon
http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/              telnet://spear.gator.net:1066

--Arthur C. Clarke
I find planning for the future allows one to delay acting in the present.
--Chris England