Rant on the Virtues of Events

From: Stephen Wolfe (siv@CYBERENET.NET)
Date: 07/14/98

> GET_ACTION isn't quite right, unfortunately. I need something that is second
> based, not event based.

i think you're kind of missing the point..using an event system would be
more accurate (down to the global pulse that is exactly one second away),
more efficient (there is no variable decrementation, and the event system
uses a hash table to cut down the number of checks to a small fraction of
existing events), and much more useful..for my MUD i've coded char
affections, room affections, object affections, regeneration, wait state,
commands, skills, spells, and a whole lot more to use events..in fact,
installing an event system for the mpdelayed command alone is a very good
thing to do..then you can use scripts and delayed commands to make your
mobs act more realistic..shrug..it's just one of those things that kind of
blows your socks off..

siv