Re: Rant on the Virtues of Events

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 07/14/98

>i think you're kind of missing the point..using an event system would be
>more accurate (down to the global pulse that is exactly one second away),

Just a correction here.  A global pulse is actually 1/10 of a second, not
a second.  If you don't believe me, make an event with a time of 1 (as
opposed to the usual 1 RL_SEC notation) and watch how quickly it will
fire off.  This fact only adds to the points in the rest of the message,
as it creates even greater accuracy, as well as being able to create the
illusion of life in mobs (if mobs moved in 1 second increments, as
opposed to the existing amount, it would still look minorly robotic)
That's one of the things that I liked in Eric Green's original DG code
that he did for zone regeneration, having a random variance for the time
that a zone is regenerated, not only fooling players who want to sit down
and time them, but also by making things seem less robotic.  In a
Role-playing MUD, this is a tremendous asset.

---
"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press