Re: Non Snoop Rooms

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 08/13/98

>Any amount of work seems like too much for the purpose of giving people a
>place to say bad things about you or your mud without you knowing...shrug.

I agree.  I can understand a NOSNOOP flag on certain players (say one of
your mortals that you want kept a secret) but making rooms where it is
possible is a little like asking for a problem.  What possible reason
could you have to block immortals (who are by their very definition,
those who watch for bad things) from hearing what mortals say?  I can
understand that say if you have clan wars (where different immortals lead
different clans) and you don't want an immortal snoopping in on opposing
battle plans, but there is a MUCH better solution: mudlog() all snoops,
and that way everyone who is snooping on someone will have it known.  You
can even have a "show snoop" command that lists all people being snopped
and by whom.  Making it impossible to snoop in certain rooms is just
inviting disaster.  Unless you are giving your snoop command to mortals
(a big mistake) or you don't trust your immortals, you shouldn't have any
problems with snooping.

---
"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press