Re: [SPELL] Question about objects & owners.

From: Tony Robbins [Kupek] (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 08/19/98

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold wrote:

>   Hello List.
>
>   I made a clone spell, that clones a piece of EQ or a weapon, and then

Fun!  :)

> fires off an event, and after so many minutes, it extracts the object.

Fairy Nuff.

> Everything works fine, but I am curious how to resolve a few things. If
> someone were to give the object to another player, how would I switch the
> ch pointer to the new owner? I need to do this because as the item fades,

Before you send out any messages, etc:

if (ch != object->worn_by)
  ch = object->worn_by;

Of course, the reference is probably different, and I don't know how your
event system works, but I think this is about right.

> it gives messages to the caster. If the caster gives it away and quits,
> MUD will probably crash (I have not tested this because I assume thats
> what will happen). Is there a way to check to make sure the person that is

You really should test it.  :P

> either wielding it or in its inventory is the same as the ch pointer in
> the event structure?

See above.

> OffTopic:
>   To help me with Circle programming, I am looking to pick up a book on
> Data Structures that is well written, and does not introduce multiple
> concepts in single examples. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I can't be any help there.  :P

----
Well, here's some news on OLC+.  I've made some modifications to Oasis
that I happen to like, which will be included in the package.  The main
modification is that OasisOLC uses an OBuild like zone allow/deny policy.

This removes the annoyance of only being able to edit one zone, or making
an array in the pfile.  Basically, it adds a string to the zone file that
is checked to see if your character's name is part of it.

Come to think of it, should I change this to become IDnums?  That way,
people can't make a mob and switch and stuff?  Hrm.  Not quite done.  :P

-B.