Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: [buffer] enhanced buffer problems!

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 08/31/98

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Cervo wrote:

>> > Heh, I "upgraded" my Slackware to RedHat two days ago and I have to use
>> > minicom to dial my PPP connection, then quit it, and run pppd on the still
>> > connected line.  How fun. (Because RedHat, 5.0 at least,has an older
>> > version of the PPP daemon than I used to.)
>You don't HAVE to, you could always use chat to do it.  If minicom works

Well, yeah, I had to, I'm running Linux 2.1.119 and that pppd is too old to
work properly on it. It'll dial and connect but fail to setup the interface
or routes, which are uh, kinda important.  I could setup the interface and
routes by hand, but that got really tedious. (Been using Linux 4 years.)

Although I'm glad you have an ObCircle.

>ObCircle:  With all of these Midieval muds, ever consider using a timer to
>cast spells.  I mean spells don't just get casted instantaneously.  Maybe
>a timer, where at every tic counting down, it sends the message "$n is
>uttering some magical words and drawing energy from the universe." in an
>act line TO_ROOM or something.  Then after the specified number of ticks
>of the timer, three seconds or so, the spell is then casted.

I always found it to make more sense to delay them.  Usually though, just
have them say the message as usual, set the WAIT_STATE, and then have the
spell go off later.  If you really want some notification for people who
walk in later, have a little tag below their character like blind does.

Bob is standing here.
... he is chanting 'hdjhfsknvyurhvskbryu'.

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/ (not done) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.