Re: [code] password retrieval Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 01:13:49PM -0700

From: Kevin Doherty (kdoherty@JURAI.NET)
Date: 09/01/98

And thus spake Jimmy Brians, on Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 01:13:49PM -0700:
> > << Anyway, if the person has the mud legally, it's not "stealing"at all.
> > Any communications are clearly not private, and moreimportantly, that
> > password is completely useless other than in the mud's context.The
> > owner owns the mud andeveryhting that constitutes it, be itworld files
> > or code or pfiles. It's not like the players own the informationthey
> > send to the mud or something. >>
> Ok, well if thats true, then why did the circlemud coders waste their
> time having it crypt the password?

Er, I'm guessing because there was a demand for it. I never said encrypting
passwords was bad. On the contrary, I can see it as being very beneficial.
But the fact is that you give up a certain level of convenience when you do
so.

I was trying to point out that your assumption that people who want the
ability to see the passwords in plaintext are all crackers was completely
invalid. You obviously missed the point.

> They're certainly not stupid, so
> maybe they know something you dont.

Again, I never said encrypting passwords was bad. And it's not like you
don't have the option of not using crypt; there's a NOCRYPT #define for
precisely that reason. I'm just pointing out that the desire to see passwords
in plaintext while having them encrypted is not purely a cracker trait.

--
Kevin Doherty, kdoherty@jurai.net
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."