Re: [OFFTOPIC] what is MANA?!

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 09/03/98

> well I know what mana is in most RPGs, but where does it come from? Does
> anyone know the historical/mythological origins of mana and its
> significance? I am trying to deepen my MUD's storyline and could really
> use as much information on mana as possible (if nothing else a link would
> be nice)

Taken from www.m-w.com (dictionary search):

Main Entry: ma·na
Pronunciation: 'mä-n&
Function: noun
Etymology: of Polynesian origin; akin to Hawaiian & Maori mana mana
Date: circa 1843
1 : the power of the elemental forces of nature embodied in an object or
    person
2 : moral authority : PRESTIGE

For some reason I also want to say that mana (the words) was the food from
the heavens according to the book of Exodus, but I can't find a bible to
confirm this.

d.