Re: Going from Win95 to Unix

From: bat_geor (bat_geor@MAIL.HOL.GR)
Date: 09/23/98

At 03:22 μμ 22/9/1998 EDT, you wrote:
>        Up until now, I was coding/running my mud off of my windows 98
computer. I
>just got a Redhat server and am in the process of moving the files onto that.
>I have run into numerous problems with the code when I compile. Thousands of
>errors.
>        I know there are changes that need to be made, but I don't have
much a clue
>as to where to start. I am not really that familiar with Unix once you get
>past the regular commands.
>        Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to
do to get
>the mud running on the server? I am using Redhat Linux and modified Circle
3.0
>pl 14.
>
>- Kieran of Darkening Skies
>        "Be careful what you laugh at, it might laugh back."
>                        -- Sonia Lyris

Didn't have much time to read the other replies, but here's what's going on:

In Micro$oft's Operating systems (DOS, Windows) and their dirivatives
(alternate DOS systems), at the end of line two characters are entered: 10
and 13 (Carriage Return and Line Feed).

However, Unix uses only one of them. So, it doesn't know what to do with
the other, and considers it as a normal character. In VI or other editors,
each line will have ^M at its end.

To correct that, there are programs who transform DOS files to Unix files
(and the opposite). Dos2Unix is one... Fromdos and todos is another.

Programmer: A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with
inanimate objects.
  Jim JMK Batis         E-mail: bat_geor@mail.hol.gr
  ICQ UIN: 18204204     AIM Screen Name: Irwas
  JMK Production: http://jmk.simplenet.com/prod/