Re: mud code stolen

From: Cj Stremick (stremick@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 12/03/98

That really is a drag.  But it can't be that uncommon.  Probably posting all
your code to usenet or the web is a bit extreme but I think it's pretty
simple to steal code, in general.

As a bit of an experiment to test the general security and privacy of user
data, I just checked the server on which my mud resides.  I was able to take
the code from EVERY mud on the box.  It took me about five minutes to do
this.  I'm no hacker and certainly no genius.  If I could do this, you all
could.

I know this won't help you now, but you should, in the future, be more
careful about protecting your code from the malicious people that will
always be "out there".

NOTE:  *DO NOT* e-mail me asking how to steal code! (I know somebody
would...).  I *DO NOT* condone this.  It's an invasion of privacy and
totally un-cool.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a mountain of new code to evaluate! ;-)
(j/k)

-Cj