Re: mud code stolen

From: Jeremy Music (wyld@users.midsouth.net)
Date: 12/03/98

As an experiment I did a 'ps aux Or' on the server I am running my test
code on (to get the big memory users listed at the bottom -- i.e., to find
the muds) and looked for bin/circle, found 2 others running, cd'ed to
their /home/<user> directory (unreadable in all instances) and armed with
just enough knowledge to be dangerous did 'cd circle30bpl14' and 'cd mud'
and was able to get into the source directories of each, where the files
had the default permissions set and thus were readable.  This presents a
good example to work from...   do a 'man chmod' and set your directories,
ALL files, etc. to be readable/executable/writeable (ESPECIALLY writeable)
only by yourself.  This of course doesn't stop root, but if you have to
worry about root you should probably be investigating other servers.

Side note, I also found out that my source was world readable, so I'm glad
someone reminded me of this simple yet dangerous security concern.