Re: [CODE - sorta..] Sending too much data to player.....

From: George (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 12/13/98

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Francis Hotchkiss wrote:

>   I was wondering if the list could help me with a problem I'm
>having(actually that stock has, it it isn't as noticable in stock...)
>When a huge amount of data is sent the buffer of data that gets sent to
>the player, the game writes ALL of that data at once, causing players on
>slower connections(a modem) to lose link.  This can be seen be doing a
>'where o sword' as a god in stock. I was wondering if there is a way to
>send the data as smaller packets, instead of one huge chunk? This way
>players wouldn't lose thier connection from the mud by being "spammed
>out". Any advice would be welcome :)

The way the MUD works, you won't be dropping people unless the server is on
a modem which can't handle the load.  Client speed is not a factor since
the MUD won't send to people who can't accept the output yet.

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/   (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.