Re: [OFF-TOPIC]

From: Sean Daley (sdaley@bbnplanet.com)
Date: 01/12/99

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, it's very easy to do.
But at the same time it's not going to find a multiplayer for you.

More than one person can be logged onto a mud from the same machine.
So they'll have the same ip even though they're not multiplaying.
Linux and Unix and other operating systems make this a breeze.
Heck, my roommate and I used to do it all the time in college.
He would mud from one of our Sparcs in the math lab and I would telnet
to the machine from a mac and log on.  Luckily I had a good reputation
with the imms there so we were never bothered about it.

Someone, a day or so, asked if there was some surefire way of determining
if someone is multiplaying or not.  The answer is (well in my opinon) no.
There ARE ways of determining certain types of multiplaying and a couple
of those were mentioned a few months ago when this thread took place
back then.  Check the archives for what was talked about back then.
If I remember right, some people felt very strongly about email
registration for the mud.  While interesting, it's still too easy
to break even if you disregard all of the free email sites out there.

The best way to crack down on multiplaying is to have observant imms.
Will that completely wipe it out?  No, but it sure will help.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time to go through all the trouble of
trying to find a code solution to permanently end multiplaying.
(of course, I know some of you feel it's a complete waste of time
for the imms to have to constantly track down multiplayers).

Well, I will just reiterate one more time that this is all my opinion.
Is it the only way to do things or even the right way to do things?
Probably not, but it is how I would do it ... and who am I?
Well, I'm nobody so who cares :)

Sean