Re: max_existance

From: Richard Glover (magik@thegrid.net)
Date: 02/02/99

I assume you're talking about limiting the number of objects/mobs in
existance.  I've always had a problem with this too.  The main thing is that
you can define/redefine this every time you load the object in the zone
file.  I haven't done this yet, but planned on moving the value to the
object prototype itself.  This seems a lot more like the appropriate place
for this.

It makes more sense to me when you want to set up a system whereas there is
a very limited amount of certain powerful items in the overall world scheme.
In a fantasy genre, you may only want 1 of each 'artifact' or 'relic' and a
limited amount of other types of items, like the infamous portable hole,
mirror of mental prowess, rings of wishes, etc.

As a thought, you may want to create a system file that is loaded with the
booting of the mud that keeps track of the number of items that have been
gotten by players so that you will have some initial values for the
obj_index[x].number.  This may cause problems with idle players or deleted
players tho, so it may want to be decreased over time.

Rick