Re: [CODE HELP NEEDED] Attack Types

From: Eric Helvey (helver@alliances.org)
Date: 02/17/99

Well... if you want to include the type in the attack as well you'll need
to change the interface to the damage function at the minimum... that
would obviously require changing every invocation of the damage
function...

I would personally suggest using bits to represent different types, that
way if you had a Fire Elemental Holy Knight he could be both Fire and
Holy...  but I digress.  I would also suggest using vulnerabilities as
opposed to resistances, since it'll be easier to deal with...

with your modififed damage function that might look something like...

damage(...., int attack_type)

You would get to the section just before you apply the damage to the
character...

if(ch->...->type & attack_type)
        damage <<= 1;

then in your spell or in the hit function... you might have an invocation
liike:

damage(ch, vict, ... , ch->...->type);

etc.

What part of this problem did you not understand?  To me it seems like the
only issues are investing some time in changing every call to the damage
function and a little rudimentary bit checking... not hard stuff.  If you
intend to actually develop your MUD, I might suggest taking a Data
Structures class at the minimum...

Eric