[NEWBIE][CODE] Object manipulation and modification

From: QA Developer (developer@csgmail.artisoft.com)
Date: 03/02/99

A couple of people were confused by my original post so am trying to
clarify it.

I am looking for a method to modify an objects name, long description,
short description for
a specific instance of an object.

e.g.

Sardon and Maniak both carry a long sword (vnum 1111)  Maniak has earned a
reward and want to rename his long sword to Maniak's Vengeance.  I modify
the objects long description.

Now Sardon's and Maniak's swords both say Maniak's Vengeance.

Further, when I save and reboot, the swords are reloaded with long sword.

We use restrings as a powerful reward and are critical to game play as we
see it.

Hopefully, this is a simple oversight and I am modifying the wrong information.

So the BIG question: Can a single instance of an object be modified without
modifying the VNUM/object database?
and further, code to do it.

BTW, I have searched through most of the archives and FAQ (am still reading
some of the archives) but cannot find anything on it.  So either it does
not exist or is very basic and I am over looking it.

I appreciate your time in reading this post and (hopefully) replying to it.

Thanks,

Dave, aka Sardon

---8<---
I have quite a bit of code experience with Envy but want to move to Circle.
 Installed OLC and a few patches as well.

Looking through the code and experimenting I don't see a way to modify a
single object.

With Envy/Merc we had a Rename/Restring command that allowed an Immortal to
restring an item for special purposes.

I tried to implement it with circle, but it modified the original VNUM. so
all objects with that vnum got modified.  further more the mods did not
save between reboots.

So, hopefully, I may just missing something simple.  Can someone help set
me straight on this.  This function is critical to the way we play.

Thanks,
Dave