Re: Damage messages and types (fight.c)

From: Sean Daley (sdaley@bbnplanet.com)
Date: 03/26/99

I'm not sure what version of circle you're running, but in bpl15
this area is actually very well commented.  I'll copy the comment
with my reply below.

At 02:31 PM 03/26/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>Yes, both results still do the same thing which does not make any sense.
>
>This is what it means to me, that is why I am asking:
I think the problem you are having here is that you are considering
skill_message and dam_message to be the same thing.  They aren't.
skill messages are special responses to certain situations.  dam
messages are a sort of catch all message.

What the code as it's written now does is basically try to use
skill_message if at all possible.  If all of that fails then it
goes back to dam_message.

>   if (!IS_WEAPON(attacktype))
>     skill_message(dam, ch, victim, attacktype);
>   else
>    if (GET_POS(victim) == POS_DEAD || dam == 0)
>       dam_message(dam, ch, victim, attacktype);

   # Beginning of comment removed #
   # my remarks will be prefaced with a #
   * If we are _not_ attacking with a weapon (i.e. a spell), always use
   * skill_message. If we are attacking with a weapon: If this is a miss or a
   * death blow, send a skill_message if one exists; if not, default to a
   * dam_message. Otherwise, always send a dam_message.
   */
  if (!IS_WEAPON(attacktype))
    # as the comment states if we are _not_ attacking with a weapon, use
    # skill message.  This is what this check does.
    skill_message(dam, ch, victim, attacktype);
  else {
    # We must be attacking with a weapon so let's go to this block
    if (GET_POS(victim) == POS_DEAD || dam == 0) {
      # If while attacking with the weapon we miss or kill the poor victim
      # then we'll send a skill message if one exists
      if (!skill_message(dam, ch, victim, attacktype))
        # Check for a valid skill message here (set up in lib/misc/messages
        # if I remember right).  Been awhile, so forgive me :)
        # If we do have a valid skill message, then that message will be
        # sent out, if we don't then we'll use generic dam_message so
        # at least something is sent.
        dam_message(dam, ch, victim, attacktype);
    } else {
      # If we get here than the attack was neither a deathblow nor a miss
      # so we'll just use generic dam_message
      dam_message(dam, ch, victim, attacktype);
    }
  }

I have a tendency of rambling when I write messages, so hopefully this
clears it up :)

Just remember that skill_message and dam_message are two completely
different functions.

Sean