Re: levels past 256

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 03/30/99

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, George Greer wrote:

> Which could be nitpicked by the anal, but I won't because I'm not.

Ooops, you're right, I made a mistake.  It is a signed char (although, the
signed is implicit, the typedef of byte just uses "char"), 2^8 is 256, and
there are 8 bits.  But by failing to elaborate, I gave the wrong
impression.  What we really have is -256 to 255 as the range for a signed
char.  It's basically 2^0 + 2^1 ... 2^n, where n is the number of bits
(minus one in the case of a signed variable, since one bit is used for
keeping track of the sign).

> I'm not boasting, I'm honest here, I'm tired of answering why C++
> programs crash or don't work for obvious reasons!

I really hated being around those types of people.  I still have to be
around them at work every so often.  And it annoys me to no end. Honestly,
there's only so many times you can look at their code and say, "You should
really initialize that," before you get sick of it.

-dak